Crazy Milano Temp: The Answer

Thanks to all who responded to my post about my Milano temp. I
think the answer may be of interest to other owners....

WATER PUMP! Turns out that the low coolant level indicated a
dramatic deterioration in the water pump seals. As for the
effect this had on the temperature, Jim Stephens, ARA advisor,
puts forward this hypothesis:
I filled up the coolant before I left the house. Leakage was at
its worst when the car was running, but cold, making the
thermostat refuse to open. When it finally did, it was to an
extremely hot engine, thus giving a reading way up in the 200s.
Once the water started flowing the seal expanded thus reducing
the rate of leakage and bringing back down the temperature.
Another factor in the odd readings may have been due to the
sender which does not work in vapor, only in liquid water. The
high temperature may have turned the water into vapor to give
the wacky readings.

My bad for not checking the loose-ness of the pulley.

Thank you all,
Neil.
'87 Milano Gold
San Francisco