Re: More Spider Window Problems

Hal Taylor writes (in part):

> I thought perhaps there might be some issue with the ANGLE of the
>  window, so I went about loosening and tightening the little things which
>  attach the window to the cable and tryin' different angles, but that
>  didn't help.
>
>  So, is it possible my motor's just shot (time to call APE)?  Why might
>  it go DOWN ok, and not wanna go up?  Am I missing some detail?  Is there
>  somethin' I shoulda greased a little more thoroughly?  Is there some
>  mystical art to adjusting tension on the cable?

Hal, you and I have Spiders that seemed to have been assembled by the same
crew. Nearly identical problem here. (Passenger window willing to go down;
struggles to go up.) I did pretty much what you tried, and things improved
enough that I can put off the real fix (replacing the motor) for now. I am
willing to guess that corrosion or worn out brushes in the motor are the
culprits. Could be alignment, but I don't think so. If replacing the motor
wasn't such an ugly looking job, I would have done it long before now.

One other possibility to check is the window switch on the console. If the
switch contact is weak, you may not get enough juice to the window motor. You
could check that by accessing the back of the switch and applying 12 volts
directly to the wires going to the window. CHECK POLARITY WITH A VOLT METER
FIRST! Otherwise you could have serious fireworks. If the window is still
pokey or stuck, well then forget this suggestion. (Note that I haven't looked
at the back of my switches yet, so I don't know what you should look for when
you peek in there.)

Good luck.

Bob Rice
Tampa