Re: More Spider Window Problems

Bob,

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

re: polarity - actually, I believe there are only two wires going to the motor.
I think that the way the motor knows to go up or down is by the polarity it
recieves.  If I'm wrong, and it's pulling ground straight off the chassis, let
me know.  But I don't think so.

Good news - if you've pulled the door panel apart, you've been through the worst
of replacing the motor.  If I correctly, there are two bolts holding the motor
to the regulator gear assembly.  They're a bit tricky to replace, but pretty
easy to remove.  It's not really SUCH an ugly job.  What probably WOULD be tough
would be replacing the regualtor assembly, and dealing with tension on the cable
system.  The motor is comparatively simple, I think.

Yours is an '86 veloce as well?  Maybe they're sisters.  What's your color
scheme?  Do you have a soft or hard rear spoiler?  Plastic connector pins in the
upper rear corners of the door panels?

Hal.

Bpnmrice@domain.elided wrote:

> Hal Taylor writes (in part):
>
> > I thought perhaps there might be some issue with the ANGLE of the
> >  window, so I went about loosening and tightening the little things which
> >  attach the window to the cable and tryin' different angles, but that
> >  didn't help.
> >
> >  So, is it possible my motor's just shot (time to call APE)?  Why might
> >  it go DOWN ok, and not wanna go up?  Am I missing some detail?  Is there
> >  somethin' I shoulda greased a little more thoroughly?  Is there some
> >  mystical art to adjusting tension on the cable?
> >
> Hal, you and I have Spiders that seemed to have been assembled by the same
> crew. Nearly identical problem here. (Passenger window willing to go down;
> struggles to go up.) I did pretty much what you tried, and things improved
> enough that I can put off the real fix (replacing the motor) for now. I am
> willing to guess that corrosion or worn out brushes in the motor are the
> culprits. Could be alignment, but I don't think so. If replacing the motor
> wasn't such an ugly looking job, I would have done it long before now.
>
> One other possibility to check is the window switch on the console. If the
> switch contact is weak, you may not get enough juice to the window motor. You
> could check that by accessing the back of the switch and applying 12 volts
> directly to the wires going to the window. CHECK POLARITY WITH A VOLT METER
> FIRST! Otherwise you could have serious fireworks. If the window is still
> pokey or stuck, well then forget this suggestion. (Note that I haven't looked
> at the back of my switches yet, so I don't know what you should look for when
> you peek in there.)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Bob Rice
> Tampa