re: alfa control

Sorry if this is a re-post, I seem to be blocked!

Keith,

My limited exposure to ARC suggests a bad earth is correct, but possibly not for the ARC itself, more likely the earths in the engine compartment in general.  There are 2 clusters of earths on each side of the grill brace.  Disassemble and clean and tighten them all.  Then undo and clean the earths on the cam cover, and do the battery terminals while you are there.  If this doesn't cure all problems, the ARC is over the top of the glove box tray.  Pull the glove box drawer right out to get some room, and then remove the 3 screws that hold the panel in place.  Pry it down gently, but don't pull back, actually push it forward and down.  This exposes various computers and connectors.  With trusty can of contact cleaner at the ready, pull each one apart and clean.

The connection with the interior lights is tenuous. AFAIK it uses a relay in the fuse box, the big one from memory, pull it, clean it, give it a bit of "percussive maintenance" and see how it goes.  The problem is probably more to do with bad earths, as described.  I don't think mine goes out when I turn on the ignition, I thought the timer controlled it.  ARC doesn't have anything to do with it.

You might want to clean the relays in the engine bay as well.  the brake fluid relay and horn are at the front of the left wing, and the Fool Injection relays on the inner guard.  Fill the washer fluid bottle right up and give it a tap to free the float, check the brake fluid is full and that the brake pads are new.  The indications may, after all, be correct.

Good luck.

Cheers,
david
1989 TS, Newcastle, AUSTRALIA.

On an Alfa 75 TS I borrowed recently the Alfa Control
panel has freaked. Most of the time it is showing
warnings for brake fuild, dashboard lights, coolant
level and washer fluid level, but does not show a
low oil level warning despite having a known faulty
sensor. Sometime all the warning lights illuminate,
but the large warning lamp stays unlit, and a couple
of times all the lights stay off. This problem occured
at the same time as the interior warning lights
developed a mind if their, turning themselves on
while driving and not tyrning off automatically if
the ignition is switched on.

I presume that the Alfa Control control unit acts as
a timer for the interior lights.

Any idea's as to where to look for as fault? My first
guess would be a faulty earth, but where does the
Alfa Control unit earth to? The car is RHD by the
way

All the best

Keith

EOM

NOTICE - This message contains information intended only for the use of the addressee named above.  It may also be confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify The Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited immediately via mailto:postmaster@domain.elided.