Re: alfa-digest V7 #951 - Exhaust Coatings

In a message dated 08/09/1999 7:38:27 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 16:00:16 -0700 (PDT)
 From: "Luke M. Kowalski" <interfaces@domain.elided>
 Subject: back and making Jet-Hot trouble

 Greetings Alfisti,

<snip>
 - -----------

 I just sent my used and cruddy exhaust manifold (from
 a 74 Spider) to Jet-Hot (http://www.jet-hot.com). They
 promise to cover the interior and the exterior with
 nice ceramic silver coating for a mere (ahem) $95. It
 is supposed to keep the heat in, allowing the hotter
 gases to flow more quickly over a smoother surface,
 and reduce the temp. in the engine bay by about 25
 percent, or so they say. I will report back once I
 install it. If nothing else, the underhood aesthetics
 will improve. I am doing this because I am throwing
 out my Shankle header, as it is banged up, and does
 not serve the predominantly street car as well as the
 stock setup.

 thx
 luke, San Mateo, CA

 74 Spider, 82 GTV6, 95 164LS, 99 Audi A6Q

    For my 82 Bosch spider, I had the exhaust headers from an early spider -
69, I think, coated by VHT here in Oklahoma City about five years and 10,000
miles ago.  Cost was about $120, back then.  I do not know how much it would
be today.
    My headers are slightly discolored where the speedometer cable fell
against them some years back.  Otherwise they are holding up well.  Under
hood temperatures are nicely reduced.  You can even check the oil with the
engine hot (my dipstick is on the exhaust side).
    If I had it to do again, I might port the exhaust manifold a bit before
having them coated.  If you look into the exhaust, you will notice bumps cast
inside to increase the thickness where the nuts attach the manifold to the
head.  I would remove those, a minor thing, but lots of little things add up.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
OKC

End of alfa-digest V7 #955