re: Aftermarket wheels for GTV6-Milano

hi ian, ewe said:
>In AD #931 Jay Hinton talks about buying a set of Compomotive wheels, and the
>problems he had with them, then writes...
>
>>I suggest people click onto the GTV6.org station and check under
>>comments for wheels and tires, many wide ranging opinions here.
>
>I have seen some of the discussions there, and frankly wasn't impressed.
>People on the Alfa Digest tend to be better informed.  I actually saw a few
>posts there that I know were just plain wrong.
>
>The information you gave is exactly what I am looking for.  The wheels you
>bought were the ones I was looking at, but I do not want to have to modify
>anything.  I want to know that the wheels I buy will bolt on, fit under the
>wheel well, and not interfere with anything.  The 6-8 week delay is a little
>on the long side as well.
>
>Thanks again for your post, it was greatly appreciated.
i believe jay said he got his 15x7 wheels w/35mm offset.  i believe that if ewe
were to get 15x7 wheels w/30mm offset, or even less, there woodn't be a rubbing
problem, & there should still be clearance on the outside.  as i recall, when i
had 15x8's made for my gtwe6, i used an offset of ~30mm.  but i actually took
measurements of the caliper - how far up/out it was in relation to where the
wheel mates at the face of the hub - this info was then relayed to the wheel
guy.  if ewe take these measurements, compomotive should be able to tell ewe
what will fit, w/what offset.

as far as rubbing on the outside, my wheels stick out ~0.7" further than jay's,
i'm running 225-50-50's, and the car has been lowered ~1.75" in the front, ~0.5"
in the back (a li'l stiffer, w/shankle street-sport, tho).  i had a li'l rubbing
front-n-back, that was cured by rolling the rear wheel-well lip, and cutting the
front air-dam where it wraps inside the front of the front wheel-well - it now
follows the profile of the wheel-well lip, instead of turning inward a couple
inches.  if ewe have 15x7's or the car isn't lowered, i can't see where there'd
be need for *any* body mods.

i was all set to order the compomotive mini-lite knock-offs in 15x7, w/27mm
offset, for my milano werde, when i found a used pair of stilauto ghibli's,
instead.  the ghibli's (either 32 or 33mm offset, don't remember which), don't
rub the calipers of the werde.  also, if ewe have a rubbing problem, it may be
more practical to file the calipers instead of the wheels.

hope this is of some use,

doug s.