Sorry for the non alfa content

Haven't done an official study, but, most of the world seems to regard the
USA as having one of the most closed free markets anywhere in the world.
Tariffs aren't the easiest nor the most effective trade barriers. Try
importing something into the US on a commercial basis and you'll find out
very quickly what the world already knows, The US of A does not have an
open market, internally or externally. Now, no one else does either except
places like Hong Kong and Singapore and the odd free trade zone, but no one
else complains as loudly as the US does about "Protectionism" ...ah
....physician heal thyself!!

What's wrong with the EU emission and safety standards anyway? That's what
really keeps smaller manufacturers out of the US market. Profit margins
aren't high enough to beat the big Three and the US Federales and the CARB
folks all with different agendas. Loved it when the big three said crash
proof bumpers couldn't be done economically at 5 mph and SAAB (producing
about 50,000 units in a bonanza year) showed the Feds a cheap bumper that
could impact another such bumper at, yes Louise, 30 mph with minimal damage
and no bumper replacement. (Yeah yeah ugly though but effective)

Our beloved Alfas comply with Safety and emission regs in crowded little
Europe, but those regs aren't good enough for the US with the lighter
traffic and slower (much slower) speeds etc. And modern cars since about
1980 don't pollute much as long as they are maintained correctly! Sorry
about the rant but much as I like the US I do wish they would cut out the
double speak on international trade and do as they say others should do.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner