Re: alfa-digest V7 #930

>From: "Tony Lupton" <T.Lupton@domain.elided>

>My question here is, what about those of us who have an off-take on the
>brake M/C reservoir that feeds the clutch M/C? The off-take is about
>half way up the reservoir, so emptying the reservoir is guaranteed to
>put air into the clutch lines. Much as I'd like to do this to keep the
>new fluid as clean as possible, the thought of having to bleed the
>clutch from scratch every time doesn't thrill me, particularly given how
>quickly the fluid level can drop from "full" to "air in the clutch
>master cylinder" when bleeding the clutch.

I have to admit to not being familiar with this setup in an Alfa. Our
Saab (an '84 900) has a single reservior like this, but the hose running
down to the clutch M/C comes out of the bottom so the problem never
arises. Obviously you should adujst the procedure for your own situation,
but it would seem that any fluid that runs out of the hose when you
suck it out of the reservior would be replaced by new fluid (i.e. the
bubble would float up and out of the hose) as long as you didn't open
the clutch slave with the reservior empty.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |    "If this rocket stuff is so important    |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    to you, so be it. Just be careful and    |
| Livermore, CA		      |    don't blow yourself up. I suppose there  |
| jack@domain.elided   |    are worse hobbies!"                      |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |            - John Hickam, October Sky       |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |

End of alfa-digest V7 #934