Re: alfa-digest V7 #927 - Car Wash Engine Cleaning

In a message dated 08/02/1999 4:00:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:12:54 -0700
 From: spider20@domain.elided (Henrik Johansen)
 Subject: Re: Bleeding dual cct brakes

 > > As for spillage, I usually treat the engine compartment to a wash out  at
 > the local coin-op after every operation that involves brake fluid.
 >
 > - Jack

 Jack, you are not supposed to wash engine at the local coin-op, you bad boy
:-)

 Henrik >>

    And why not?  Any Alfa I buy gets put on my car trailer, which is open in
the center.  I get on a creeper with a face shield under the Alfa on the
trailer at the car wash and get everything clean.  Everything, but me, that
is.  I get filthy.
    I also take the chassis back to the car wash after the engine is removed.
 And I take all the disassembled engine, transmission, etc., components to
the car wash after disassembly.  I find nothing gets everything clean as well
as the high pressure soapy water.  I do blow everything dry when I get home.
    I prefer to not wash the engine when it is hot, but I have done that.  If
you lack a trailer, soak the engine down with Gunk and tow it to the car wash
so the engine is still cold.  It also helps to remove the air cleaner and
other easily removed items.  And cover the breather on the brake master
cylinder and any other parts you do not want to get wet with a plastic bag
secured with a plastic bag.
    Last Saturday, it was 101 degrees and my race car dried real quick after
its bath.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City