Re: '63 Giulia brakes

To answer Steve S oF Seattle's query about Giulia 101 Sprint brakes:

The Giulia 101 Sprint was initially supplied with the triple shoe front
brakes. Disc front brakes were later offered as a no-cost option but
there is no firm evidence regarding dates or chassis numbers to confirm
when this was available. A '63 car probably came with an all drum set-
up.

The triple show brakes were considered by the Alfa Romeo factory to be
superior to the disc setup, the eventual change was more of a cost
reduction & PR  exercise rather than a performance modification
exercise.

The rear brakes of front drum braked cars had steel rear brake shoes
with 1.752 wide linings, carried on from the Giulietta. Cars with front
discs had aluminium rear shoes with  2.252 wide linings together with
wider drums, different backplates, cylinders & return springs.

There were also changes in brake master cylinders, all drum cars had a
1.0" diameter cylinder, disc braked cars had a 0.75" diameter unit.

The rear brakes & master cylinder of the car in question may indicate
the original fitment by the factory, although a previous owner may have
carried out a complete front & rear conversion

There was never a production Giulia 101 Sprint Veloce, although owners
could convert to a "Veloce" type spec by using Spider Veloce or SS
parts.

To further complicate the story, a customer of mine has owned from new a
very late Giulia 1300 Sprint of about '65 or '66 which was originally
equipped with Dunlop front disc brakes & master cylinder from the 105
series!

More information about Giulia brakes can be found on the Alfa Stop
website, www.alfastop.co.uk.

Tony Stevens
Alfa Stop
www.alfastop.co.uk
tony@domain.elided

In message , borrani@domain.elided writes
>Hey all,
>Got a question from a friend who vintage races a '63 101
>Giulia.  He's got front disk brakes on the car
>presently, but what did the car come with standard?  Was
>there a difference with the Veloce or regular Sprint
>this year?
>For my own info, which year did Alfa switch from drums
>to discs for front brakes on 101 Sprints?  I'm aware the
>Sprint SZ may have been more 'advanced'.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Steve S.
>NWARC
>Seattle, WA

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900