Re: '63 Giulia brakes

>Hey all,
>Got a question from a friend who vintage races a '63 101
>Giulia.  He's got front disk brakes on the car
>presently, but what did the car come with standard?

The car came with the triple leading shoe front drums, and the narrow,
helically finned rear drums. Same brakes as on the Spider Normale.

There was no Spider Veloce that year, the SS came with the same three shoe
front drums but with the wider, spiral finned, two shoe rear brakes,
identical to the rear brakes that came paired with the front discs on the
later ('65) model year Giulia Spider Veloces, except that the rear wheel
cylinders were of a smaller bore diameter on the front disc brake equipped
cars. The cars with front discs also had a smaller bore in the master
cylinder, and a shorter lever on the shaft which actuated the master
cylinder.

Was
>there a difference with the Veloce or regular Sprint
>this year?
>For my own info, which year did Alfa switch from drums
>to discs for front brakes on 101 Sprints?

I believe '65, but only for the Spyder Veloce. Were any SS's even built
that late?? Were any Spider Normales or Sprints ever built with front
discs?? I doubt it.

Regards, Greg