spider clutch woes

I have narrowed the shifting problems in my '87 Spider down to a clutch that
will not disengage. Whereas before it merely ground when trying to get into
1st or R, now attempts to start while a gear is selected and the clutch
depressed causes the car to lurch along compliments of the starter.

I have already bled the clutch line, so I know it is not that simple. The
manual offers three possible points of failure:master cylinder, slave
cylinder, or clutch plate. Any ideas on how to diagnose which of the three is
at fault?

Cheers-
Andrew