Re: Tire & wheel options for '67 105

Well, there are a couple of minor problems with the totally original
approach. The supply of 155-15 tires has dried up, unless you don't mind
paying $200 each for reproductions. What happened was that all the VW Bug
owners switched en masse to 165-15, and the tire manufacturers quit making
the 155-15 tires. So, with that you're already into the 165-15 if you keep
the original wheels. It's close enough, if that's the way you want to go.
Your choices of brands are somewhat limited, but given the number of VW
bugs still around, these tires are not likely to go away.

On some of the early 105's, the 14 inch wheels will *not* fit. Depending
on several things, it's either the caliper or the upper ball joint that
gets in the way. To fix that, you have to basically swap out the whole
front suspension for one from a 2 liter car. A lot of people do this for
other reasons, like getting calipers you can still buy parts for. The other
problem with this option is that the choices in 14 inch diameter tires are
getting fewer over time. Putting a wide tire on a narrow rim not only looks
funny, it can make the car act funny, too. 185-14 is about as wide as I
would go on a 5.5" in wide rim. There used to be a 175/70-14 that was a
good fit, but these have also disappeared.

If you decide to go with alloy wheels, you really only have to change the
studs if you use the Alfa wheels. Most aftermarket wheels can be had with
a thinner base that will work with the existing studs. Panasports look
great on a 105 car, and don't require new studs. Panasports are lighter than
the Alfa wheels too. They're not cheap, but they are a lot less than some of
the latest, popular styles. Last time I checked, Panasports run about $175
each.

I think we agree that you should decide what you want to do with the car,
and decide which way you want to go before you change anything. Keeping the
steel wheels you have and putting 165-15 tires on them is absolutely the
cheapest way to go. The Dunlop SP20 A/S in 165/SR-15 lists for $39 USD on
the Tire Rack web site.

John Hertzman wrote:

>In AD7-695 John Basel considers tire options for his '67 GT Junior, all
>predicated on wishing to stay with steel wheels - a commendable option -
>because he does not want to replace the studs (easily done) or spindles/axle
>(totally unnecessary) and go with alloy wheels. Fine so far, but the tire
>options he mentions start with 165-15 and then 185/65 15 on the stock 15 x
>4.5" steel wheels.
>
>The original size tire was 155-15 on all of the 1600s, including the GTA and
>the Tubolare Zagatos in their street versions; I would wonder about the
>rationale of going to larger diameter, heavier, and visually more massive
>tires on a vintage car which was a delight to drive in its original form. If
>track and/or autocross performance overrides all other considerations, OK,
>his car, but then I would think one would chose the tire first, chose the
>wheel that would work with the tire, and change the studs if necessary.
>
>With the 1750 Alfa went to 165-14 tires on appropriately wider steel wheels
>which accepted the stock hubcaps; they are common enough that finding and
>refurbishing a set should be no problem, and the 185/60-14 AVSi is readily
>available. He would have the wider footprint, marginally better times
>(perhaps), heavier steering, and closer to original aesthetics, and wouldn't
>have to mess with replacing sixteen wheel studs.

End of alfa-digest V7 #702