Re: GTV6 Clutch Woes

Obie wrote:

>After 1-2 minutes of this
>the slight whirring sound that I thought was due to the throw out bearing
>became a continuous loud shreek like the sound of a belt slipping.
>....Had to tow it the
>rest of the way (sigh). So now I have a couple of new symptoms for you
>clutch and tranny savvy folks to diagnose if you would:
>	1. Car will roll in nutral.
>	2. Clutch still does not disengage.
>	3. Engine will not crank even when the tranny is in nutral.

Obie, please tell me that you are absolutely sure the shriek was coming
from the rear of the car.  An engine can make the same kind of sound as it
seizes.  You need to isolate the location of the problem: engine or
gearbox.  I think the only way to do that is to remove the drive shaft and
try turning each.

The nut on the crankshaft is huge: 42 mm.  You probably won't be able to
find one that size except through a traveling tool guy.  A 1 5/8" socket
also fits well.  You can find one of those at your local tool store.  You
will most likely find it in only 3/4" drive.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco