Re: spider valve adjustment

John,
How about a MP3 file of your valve noise.  Just kidding,  but how much
noise does it make?  I would say spiders make some ticking noise but how
much is some is a very personal reference.  A new valve cover gasket
should be reusable if a sealant wasn't used, I did it many times(gives
the customer more bang for the buck).

Watch out for those tight exhaust valves.  L-jetronic spiders have a weak
intake manifold pressure sensor.  it is in the ignition system and when
it leaks the timing retards and the exhaust temp goes up.  This softens
the exhaust seats and they flow like plastic and the valve adjustment
tightens up.  I also believe this is the cause of the broken exhaust
manifolds because the fix was a manifold with more nickle in the alloy.
If the valves tighten up enough ( shim less then 1mm) the valve seat will
need to be replaced.  Don't replace them with stock seats, starting with
the motronic spider Alfa used much harder seats which are much more
appropriate for unleaded fuel.  If you use non-Alfa seats use seats with
a minimum of 55% nickle !

Chris Hall