Tire & wheel options for '67 105

Its time for new (summer) tires for my '67 GT Junior.  The car
still has a basically original suspension setup in good shape - so
I don't really want to replace the studs (or spindles/axle) and go
with alloy wheels.  So here are the steel wheel and tire options
I'm considering:

1. Stock 15x4.5" wheels with 165-15 tires.  Tire options are
Michelin XZX, Dunlop SP20 (M&S), Firestone 560 (M&S).  Michelins
are probably ok, but I really want something stickier.

2. Stock 15x4.5" wheels with 185/65-15 tires.  There are lots of
tires available.  The minimum recommended wheel width is 5", but
I've heard that vintage racers use this size combination - but I
don't know what specific tire they use.  I'd like to get the Yoko
AVSIs.  The Tire Rack salesman said that the sidewall is so stiff
that it may not be possible to mount AVSIs on the narrow wheels!
I assume the handling would be ok, if they could be mounted?

3. Ford 15" wheels from a Mustang(-92) or Thunderbird/Cougar
(88-90).  These have the same bolt pattern (4x108mm) and offset
(25mm), but I'm not sure if they are steel or alloy or how wide
they are.  If they are steel and 5 to 6" they'd be fine.  AVSIs
should mount without a problem and a wider wheel should support
the tire better.

4. Many other Ford/Audi 15" wheels.  These have the same bolt
pattern, but a different offset (35mm).  Is the larger offset a
problem?

I'd like to know if anyone has tried any of the above (or similar)
setups and what they found - especially mounting/handling for the
AVSI/15x4.5 combination.

TIA

John Basel
Bolton, MA