Frumpymobile

I've just received the following note from John Weimer about a car he located:

>I just got back from Illinois and looking over the four-door I told you
about. It's a 1974 (6/74) Alfa Romeo 2000 Iniezione, VIN AR3002534 with
69,091 miles in pretty bad condition.

>1. About half the windshield is broken out and the broken portion is in the
middle. All other glass is good.

>2. There is deep DEEP surface rust on nearly every body panel. The cowling
under the windshield is rusted through.

>3. All trim above the outer door handles is good, but the windshield and
rear glass surrounds would have to be buffed out.

>4. All side marker lights are intact with some crazing and the front ones
are faded in the rectangular lenses.

>5. The headlights and trim rings are in good condition, and the right tail
light lens is serviceable.

>6. The wheels and center covers are all good, but the lug nuts are very
rusty; the spare tire is in the trunk as is the jack.

>7. The center grille has a little bit if pock; would be serviceable as is,
but on a real nice car should be replated, Alfa badge gone.

>8. Outer door handles are serviceable as is, two of them are nearly like new.
>
>9. Instruments all look good, but evidently two of them don't work because
there were two aftermarket gauges low on the dashboard.

>10. The radio looks good and will clean up easily.
>
>11. All inner door hardware would require replating to look good. Door
pull/armrests would clean up and be ok.

>12. The center console  has a slight bow in the right side. A stiffener
glued inside would fix it.

>13. All seats are in good condition except for the upholstery. The dash top
is shot, as are the sun visors.

>14. The steering wheel and center are good. There is a small bad spot where
the rim joins the outside "spoke", but I think It could be fixed with a
little epoxy.

>The car has air conditioning, but try as I may I couldn't get the hood
open. I pulled the knob so hard it broke off and I didn't have any
Vise-grips to try again. I have no idea why the car was taken out of service
and there was nobody around the place to ask about it.

If anyone has an interest in this challenging project, you can contact John
for more information at:

jdwe@domain.elided

Best wishes,
Skip Persson