Torsen LSD and Motorbook sale

> From: 	David R Johnson
>
> I don't know a lot about the 164, so I'm going out on a limb here.  But in
> general, FWD cars do not employ an LSD in the conventional sense.  A
> normal RWD
> LSD is much too sudden in its locking action, and would cause a huge kick
> back
> through the steering.  The only kind of front LSD I know of is a Torsen
> type,
> which uses a special silicone-based fluid whose viscosity depends on the
> shear
> force applied.  When the rotational speeds of the two sides differ
> substantially (one wheel is spinning), the liquid becomes very viscous and
> locks up.  Otherwise, it allows small speed differences for normal
> cornering.

What you are describing is not the Torsen (Torque Sensing) LSD. The Torsen
uses worm gears for the limited slip action. I do know that some FWD cars
use the viscous type LSD you describe. I don't know of any FWD cars with
Torsens.

Classic Motorbooks has the book "Alleggerita" by Tony Andriaensens on sale
for 50 USD, half the regular price. It's a detailed book covering the GTA.
(800) 826-6600.

Jeff