Spica-to-Weber conversion

I agree with the suggestion that a low pressure fuel pump should be
used when converting from spica to webers.  The PO of my GTV kept the
original fuel pump and used an inline regulator to bring the pressure
down.  As I discovered on the way back from the DMV, this regulator
can shift into a mode where the output pressure is ~0.  While this is
still technically regulated, it's not exactly useful.

So I'm finally at the point where I've ordered a new low pressure
electric pump, and I had a question about the gas line plumbing.  I'll
be moving from the original fuel pump/front filter canister to this
new electric pump and an older, euro-style front filter canister with
the built in pressure regulator.  With this "new" setup, do I still
need a return line to the gas tank?  Or, to put it more stupidly, how
should I hook things up?  Can I just run a line from the fuel filter
cannister to the carbs?  (In a pathetic attempt at a defense of my
ignorance, I'm used to the simple motorcycle setup involving a gravity
feed from the tank directly into the carbs...)

Thanks for the advice,
Marc Alley
Palo Alto
'71 GTV (tensioner wedge and bolt now happily reunited!)
'74 Berlina (still running and somewhere in the west with Ben Dixon)