Re: 156 in latest Road & Track

On Apr 15, 12:39pm, Andrew Watry wrote:

> The May issue of Road & Track has a short piece by Paul Frere about the
> sequential shift (?) Alfa 156.  Dare we to hope that if enough US R&T
> subscribers write to Alfa about wanting to buy the car, they'll consider
> selling it here?  I wouldn't be surprised if that was R&T's intent.  Over
> the years, R&T has been a solid supporter of Alfa,

True, but didn't Mr. Frere include a rather unjustified snipe at Alfa in the
same article?  I think he said something along the lines of how good the 156
is, compared to Alfas of the last 20 years which have lacked quality and
character.

Well I don't know that I can argue with the quality issue, although in fact if
an Alfa is properly serviced and looked after it can be as reliable as most
other manufacturer's vehicles.  Mostly it is just the fact that many people
just want to buy a car and never have it maintained, and then they wonder why
something breaks.

But I certainly would disagree that Alfas cars of the last 20 years are somehow
inferior to the earlier ones.  Many Alfisti have used this forum to wax lyrical
on the sophisticated yet sporting luxury of the 164, and the Milano is a sound
development of a real drivers' machine, the GTV6 (OK, showing personal bias
here!).  The Spider may be based on an old design, but so is a Porsche 911, and
I haven't noticed R&T slamming those recently.  Of course the older machines
have more overt personalities, that is an inevitable consequence of driving an
elderly vehicle, and the phenomenon is by no means confined to Alfas.

Perhaps I am oversensitive on this subject, understandable as a lover of an
orphaned marque, but I did not see the snip as justified.  Alfas recent models
failed in the US due to poor marketing IMO, not poor product.

Dave J.
1982 GTV6

BTW, for another laugh, check the ad for the Lincoln Navigator elsewhere in the
issue.  It boasts of their concern for the environment, and the use of a
special sensor used to help control emissions.  The sensor is even pictured -
it is (gasps in technological awe) - an oxygen sensor!  Rather like the one in
my 19 year old Alfa :).

- --