Carb Problems

Dear Digesters,
I'm having an anoying problem with part of the throttle linkage on my Duetto's Webers.  Recently I spent 2 days doing tune up procedures and solving a fuel system problem on my car.  Part of it involved removing the Webers to clean them.  After setting everything straight a new problem has now developed.  The plastic shaft that links the throttle linkage on the firewall of the car  in the engine compartment to the throttle linkage in between the Webers keeps falling off.  This never happened before.  I've experimented many times with adjusting the locknut screw on it to keep from being so tight.  It's strange,  because at first it is extremely tight,  but then after revving the throttle a couple of times it becomes very loose and falls off.  I've tried adjusting the linakges but with little success.  If I had more time I could experiment with it.  Could it be that the socket on the shaft that attaches to the ball is worn out?

Thanks,
Zach