Re: Clutch for Milano Gold '87

"Laconich, Nelson" <Nelson.Laconich@domain.elided> writes:
> Hi everyone.  It's time for my Milano to get a new clutch.  I can bearly
> drive it.  As soon as I accelerate, the rpm's go crazy.  I checked several
> places, and they all suggest that I get the whole clutch assembly because is
> balanced.  I was wondering if someone can advice on this, and recomend what
> place has the best price.  Thank you for your help.

I have done both. The parts that are balanced together are the outer plates and
the throw-out bearing. The driven (inner) disc is separate and is not balanced
with the outer. If you have lots of miles on the bearing and clutch, I would
recommend doing as the shop says and replacing the whole unit (about $US450).
If it's a case of premature disc failure (as was mine recently), just replace
the driven disc. This is only about $150. If you're paying someone to do it,
the labor will be the same for either way (maybe even more just to do the disc),
so a lot of people just go for the whole unit anyway, as security.
- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm

End of alfa-digest V7 #640