Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:32:57 +1000
From: "Doug Gould" <dgould@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 LCD

I believe that it is the LCD drivers rather than the LCD itself that
plays
up. My 164 fastback (with the earlier LCD display) was giving trouble
with a
couple of segments. I actually replaced the LCD with another from a
wreck,
with no difference. The drivers are (or are contained in) a chip on the
printed circuit board. By the way, if the LCD plays up more when it is
warm
then I think this supports the theory that it is this drvers chip. A
friend
recently had similar trouble with the electronic trip meter he uses for
rallying and was able to have someone who speaks electronics replace the
LCD
drivers.

I am getting close to buying a 1994 164 to replace the old 164 fastback
and
I hope to be able to cure any future LCD problems in this manner.

Doug Gould
Squashed '91 164L
borrowed Toyota Cressida

<<
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]