164 LCD

I believe that it is the LCD drivers rather than the LCD itself that plays
up. My 164 fastback (with the earlier LCD display) was giving trouble with a
couple of segments. I actually replaced the LCD with another from a wreck,
with no difference. The drivers are (or are contained in) a chip on the
printed circuit board. By the way, if the LCD plays up more when it is warm
then I think this supports the theory that it is this drvers chip. A friend
recently had similar trouble with the electronic trip meter he uses for
rallying and was able to have someone who speaks electronics replace the LCD
drivers.

I am getting close to buying a 1994 164 to replace the old 164 fastback and
I hope to be able to cure any future LCD problems in this manner.

Doug Gould
Squashed '91 164L
borrowed Toyota Cressida