Re: 4 cylinder cam tensioner question/problem

Marcus Alley wrote:

>This weekend I was thwarted in my attempt to re-install the cams in my
>GTV because I was unable to get the timing chain back together.  The
>culprit appears to be the idler, which is not fully retracting into
>the block.  So, question number 1, should it move back into the head
>all the way?  Right now, with the spring fully compressed, there's
>still about 3/4" (~19mm) of shaft exposed.
>In addition, when looking through the tensioner bolt hole all I see is
>spring.  So it appears that the wedge is no longer there, which one
>assumes is also not correct.  Has it just fallen out, or has it some
>how worked it's way back between the spring and the head plug?

The wedge has gotten pushed back and is now at the bottom of the hole
preventing the tensioner from fully retracting. You need to pull the thing
all the way out and get the wedge out with a magnet then slide it all back
in together. If you're as talented as me you'll probably have to do this
more than once.

Since your motor is already put together you'll have to be real careful not
to drop the wedge down into the sump.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project