4 cylinder cam tensioner question/problem

Howdy,

This weekend I was thwarted in my attempt to re-install the cams in my
GTV because I was unable to get the timing chain back together.  The
culprit appears to be the idler, which is not fully retracting into the
block.  So, question number 1, should it move back into the head all =
the
way?  Right now, with the spring fully compressed, there's still about
=BE" (~19mm) of shaft exposed.
In addition, when looking through the tensioner bolt hole all I see is
spring.  So it appears that the wedge is no longer there, which one
assumes is also not correct.  Has it just fallen out, or has it some =
how
worked it's way back between the spring and the head plug?
If something is blocking the idler from fully retracting, what size
allen wrench do I need for the head plug?  Reassembly would seem to be
fairly straightforward, but are there any tricks to watch out for?
In other news, yesterday we saw Ben Dixon, Stephanie, and Dionne off in
the Berlina for the start of their grand Western tour.  They are headed
south, and last night drove down Hwy 1 to San Luis Obispo.  I assume by
now they are used to driving on the right side of the road...=20
Thanks
Marc Alley
Palo Alto