Re: CA Smog and a Milano

For what it's worth (out here in one of those '49 States'),
my GTV6 with Sperry Stage III heads and possibly non-stock
cams -- I've not bothered to REALLY look, but she can't get
anywhere close to a smooth idle -- passed Florida emissions
with the following readings:

HC(ppm): 25 (220 max required to pass)
CO(%): 0.00 (1.2% max)
Nitrates or whatever aren't tested in Florida

This was after installing a single new cat (3" pipe) in the
system. The O2 sensor and most ignition parts were also new.
The engine has about 30K miles on it since the addition of
the Sperry heads.

The hoot of this is that I ALMOST passed with essentially no
cat at all. The old one was sans guts and I was getting
readings of HC 330 and .5% CO. I believe whole-heartedly
what AlfaBill, Guy Hamilton and others have told me over the
years: Alfas have clean engines.

Hope this data helps...you've got a 3 liter, right? There
shouldn't be that much difference. Retard the timing a wee
bit, at least back to stock specs. The Sperry heads seem to
do well with a degree or two advance but it makes a huge
difference on the tests.

Good luck,

- - Eric H., Clearwater, FL
1983 GTV6 'Felicite' whose door closes easily again...still
needs body work, though
1982 GTV6 almost devoid of non-body parts