Re: Alfetta shifter/transaxle problems,please advise

In message , Milanogold@domain.elided writes
>Greetings Alfisti!
>       I could use some advice and tips on stuck shifters and freewheeling
>transaxles,folks.The offender this evening is Lazarus, my '79 Alfetta
>Velocissima.
Could you elaborate, for example were there any banging noises? Grinding
noises?
The reason i ask is that it appears that you didn't move the gear stick,
but the drive went away. If you didnt "switch it off", then what did?
Looking at the manual I couldn't see anything obvious that could get
stuck, though I'm still wondering about the interlock detents.
Third gear would have the selector rod pushed into the gearbox so it's
unlikely that something has fallen behind the main selctor rod, unless I
am looking at the drawing from the wrong angle, however it could be a
blockage in front of the third/fourth rod.
A jam here would leave the car stuck in gear, third in your case, so we
need more clues.
It does appear that you will have to dismantle the gearbox to find out
what happened, althouh I hope that somebody can sort it out with less
fuss.
- --
jonathan coates