Alfetta shifter/transaxle problems,please advise

Greetings Alfisti!
       I could use some advice and tips on stuck shifters and freewheeling
transaxles,folks.The offender this evening is Lazarus, my '79 Alfetta
Velocissima.
    Background-I bought the car with no ability to get second gear.I replaced
the shifter about 2 1/2 weeks ago;I got second gear although the synchros are
quite weak.
      Today I went to a friends' house for chat, valve cover gasket
replacement on Lazarus, and a head gasket diagnosis on my friends Milano Verde
(definitely on its way to blowing out completely, folks).I left his house and
got onto the DC beltway (to take the long, fast way back to my house).The
shifter began to feel even more vague than usual,and felt like it was
"sticking" between shifts like it was stuck in gear.
        I'd just gotten onto the freeway and was attempting to make my 3-4
shift when the shifter stuck in 3rd gear position, and yet the car began to
slow down.I blipped the throttle a touch,thinking (hoping) that this might
help putting the car into 4th.The car revved and revved,but there was no
clutch engagement I assume.The car acts like it's in neutral but the shift
lever is wedged and WILL NOT BUDGE in 3rd gear position. I coasted to a
stop,scratched my head and began to look for obvious problems.I thought the
shifter may have come loose from the shift fork, but it's still attached .The
arm on the side of the transaxle where the shift rod bolts to wasn't broken,it
looked normal.Phoned my friend for help, and had him check clutch movement
while I pumped the clutch pedal.The clutch and the hydraulics are working as
they should.I ended up towing the car home;first time in 90,000 miles that an
Alfa Romeo has left me stranded...............
      I am a bit perplexed, and could use some advice,or tips on what might be
causing this problem and possible solutions.My friend suggested buying a Honda
instead, then added insult to injury by suggesting I should drink a beer or
two......Not funny.
    I am truly confused (more so than normal) on this one.
Drowning my sorrows in Dr.Pepper,and thanking all helpful Alfisti in advance,
Terry Akins
Alexandria,Va
1987 Milano Gold (alfie)
1979 Alfetta Velocissima (Lazarus, dead again)