Re: GTV-6 steering dampener?

In AD-552, Mark Kingsbury wrote:

> In a long, long ago post (Sun, 11 Dec 1994 18:33 to be precise) Peter
> Krause mentioned that the steering effort on the GTV-6 could be reduced
> by removing the steering dampener, among other things.  Question is:
> What is it, where is it, and how do I remove it?

and in AD-553 Colin Verrilli responded:

> It's located just above (or behind, I forget) the steering rack.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it sits just in front of the rack.  I've been seeing
mine a lot lately since I pulled the motor!  It does look easy to remove; one
end seems to be just bolted to the rack, but I'm not sure offhand how the
moving end is attached.  In any case, I'm sure you'll need to get underneath to
get access if you motor is where it should be.  Don't forget to make sure the
car is safely supported on jack stands before you go under...

Dave J. (pedant)
1982 GTV6 (still with steering and suspension, but nothing else)

- --