Re: Alternator connectors; '74 Spider

In AD-553 Ralph Moorhouse wrote:

> The question(s):
> How do I get spade connectors out of plastic plug without 'terminal' (excuse
> the pun!) damage & is there a good source of equivalent sized spade
connectors
> that I can put back into the plastic connectors after I have "refreshed" the
> wiring &/or wire to spade contact?

Ralph,

I recently purchased what looks like a handy tool from Pep Boys for doing this,
made by Lisle I believe.  It is a hexagon with 6 different connector
disassembly tools for various types (including spade) on the 6 sides.  The
spade type consists of 2 parallel blades that slide down the sides of the spade
to release the lock tabs.  I have not had occasion to try it yet, since the
last spade connector I disassembled had a clearly visable tab that was easy to
release with a minature flat-blade screwdriver.  You might try your local parts
store for a similar device.

If the spade piece is not damaged by removal, you usually have to bend the lock
tab back a bit so that it locks back in when you reinsert it into the
connector, since it often does not spring back by itself.  If the tab breaks
off, or the spade is otherwise unusable, a replacement should be easy to find -
try Sears or other hardware stores, Radio Shack, or the auto parts houses.
 They should have several different sizes, so bring yours to compare.  A
recommended investment is a good quality crimping tool (try same stores as
above), otherwise the spade connector will not stay in place for long.  You
could solder it, but soldered joints should be backed up by a crimp since they
don't take kindly to stress.  I have heard it said that solder also reacts
badly to the vibration found in cars, but I have not had problems with properly
supported soldered joints.

Hope this helps,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6