Re: GTV-6 steering dampener?

Mark Kingsbury <cubrr@domain.elided> writes:
> In a long, long ago post (Sun, 11 Dec 1994 18:33 to be precise) Peter
> Krause mentioned that the steering effort on the GTV-6 could be reduced
> by removing the steering dampener, among other things.  Question is:
> What is it, where is it, and how do I remove it?

It's located just above (or behind, I forget) the steering rack. It's
easy to remove. I've found the the best remedy for hard steering is
proper alignment (castor on the low end of spec) and new tires. I actually
replaced the damper on mine to help reduce steering jump on rough roads.
- --
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@domain.elided
'84 GTV6        '87 Milano Gold         '94 164LS Auto
Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC) Treasurer
MAARC Home Page:  http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380
164 Home Page:    /alfa/FAQ/164
NOS Alfa Parts for sale: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2380/cbvparts.htm