RE: GTV (1973) water pump

> First of all ignore the date on this message. I was supposed to get this
> computer fixed or replaced but spent about a grand on alfa parts instead
> so bear with me brothers! My question is an easy one,I think, I've read
> alot about the need to remove the crank pulley and bolt in order to
> remove the water pump.(2 liter). I have also read at least in some "I
> Saluti" reprints that you don't have to do this if you remove a couple
> of the studs which are used to hold the water pump by double nutting
> them. Since I figure that NO ONE would voluntarily take that crank nut
> off,my question is whether I need to or will the removal of the studs
> work as promised?

you can double nut and remove the two lower studs, then the water pump will
clear the pulley.  this tip i picked up on the digest from les singh, and it
saved my butt last fall in cheyenne wyoming, 2,000 miles away from home.

i suppose that if you remove those studs too many times you risk softening
the threads in the block, so imho removing the crank pulley is still the
preferred method.

hope this helps,

bs