Re: GTV6 window cables

Obie wrote, refering to his GTV6:

>Also is there any external way to tell if the car
>still has the dual plate clutch?

One easy way is to drive it.  The dual-plate clutch has a very indefinite
feel to it.  It's not like other clutches, where you can feel the point of
first contact, modulate the gas and clutch to keep the revs steady, and
effect a smooth pull out and lock up.  No, with the dual-plate, you'll
sound more like an F1 or Indy driver during your pull out, engine revs all
over the place, with your gas foot desperately chasing the effect your
clutch foot is having on the car.  With the dual-plate, even with practice,
the guy sitting next to you at the stop light will think you're a manual
transmission neophite.

I get the impression that there is no difference in outward appearance.
When I bought my car, I took it to Don Knopp for a pre-purchase inspection.
 Under the car, he looked at the transaxle and said, "I can't tell if this
is the original, dual-plate clutch or not."  When he got into the car for
our test drive, and began his first pull out, he said, "Oh yeah, this is
the dual plate."

Rich
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco