Re: '83 Spider won't turn over (intermittent)

I have had this happen on my 1986 Spider. It would just decide not to turn
over one day then it would just fix itself. It turned out to be the ignition
switch. I verified this one day when it wouldn't start and I was far from
home. I removed the covers from around the steering column and disconnected
the plug connector going to the ignition switch. With two short wires I was
able to start and run the car by bypassing the ignition switch. Put in a new
switch and the problem never came back.

If memory serves you can look at the warning lights on the dash and get an
idea if the ignition switch is bad. My switch was working when in the run
position but not in the start position. All power to the car was cut out
when turned to the start position when the switch was acting up. The warning
lights on the dash would go out when the switch was turned to start. I could
not believe I missed that when I was diagnosing the problem but I noticed it
after I found the problem but was waiting on the new switch to get mailed to
me. Next time it doesn't start make sure the warning lights are still lit up
on the dash when the ignition switch is in the start position. I know that
most unnecessary components do not work in the start position but I thought
some warning lights still worked when cranking.

I think I'm right about some of the warning lights remaining on when the
ignition switch is in the start position on the Bosch spiders. I can't check
right now because my car is in storage for the winter with the battery out
so if I'm wrong let me know. I also have a different dash in my 86 spider
compared to your 83 spider. I have no idea what warning lights you have.

Brad H.