Re: Nitch Cars

In a message dated 2/18/99 9:32:42 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< All of the federal safety and emission regulations have
 pretty much done away with any small manufacturer. They just can't
 afford to meet all the regulations. As a result we don't have much in
 the way of nitch market cars like the British. Most of the cars here
 seem to be punched out of three or four cookie cutters. We need to get
 makes like Alfa back here before Americians forget that cars can be
 exciting. >>

In a matter of a few years (already there is some European countries) they
will be instituting equal, or in some cases even more restrictive, emissions
and safety regulations than is current in the U.S.  When the Euro
manufacturers have to meet those new requirements maybe it will be possible
for them to export here with little additional expense thus greatly expanding
their markets and our selection.  It is my understanding that the new Alfa's
already meet U.S. standards and most others probably do as well.

Jerry in Houston