re: '83 Spider won't turn over

 Mr. Colbourne writes:

> Turn the key and nothing happens!!!
>
> My '83 Spider has done this twice in the last couple of weeks.  Once it was
> raining real hard and I thought that might have been the problem but
> yesterday it was dry and warm.
>
> All the electric's work fine.  When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump
> kick in but the starter just won't crank.  The first time it happened I
> messed with the fuse box and it eventually started.  Yesterday I had to roll
> start the car.  After I turned it off and tried again it started fine.
>
> Does this sound like a starter of ignition switch problem? Is there a fuse
> specifically for the starter?

Assuming you have a good ground on your battery, (since you said you have
power) two possible causes I can think of:

First, the solenoid could be sticking.  When you turn the key you, or somone
standing outside the car should hear an audible "click" on the top of the
starter.  Next time it happens, if you don't hear this "click"  give the
solenoid a light whack with a hammer/baseball bat/axe handle/something heavy,
which should free it up.

If you can hear the "click", or if the above fails, you may be dealing
with a dead spot on the starter, (I think this's the most likely cause).
Again, the next time it happens, give the starter a light whack with a
hammer/baseball bat/axe handle/something heavy and then give it a shot.
You can also rock the car off of the dead spot by putting the car in say
3rd or 4th gear and rocking it back and forth a few times and then attempting
the start.

In either case, it'll get worse over time and you'll be looking at a new
starter.

Hope this helps?

Scott