Re: Electronic ignition for 1750

> From: "Reid, Warren" <Warren.Reid@domain.elided>
> Subject: Electronic ignition for 1750
>
> I've finally had enough of my conventional ignition system in my 68 1750 GTV
> which is again playing up. Does anybody have any recommendations on what is
> suitable and works well on a 105 series? I guess I'm looking more for
> replies from Australian residents who have tried what is locally available.
>
> I vaguely remembered someone in the South Australian club had developed a
> system?
> I've also had a recommendation for a locally made system that's factory
> fitted to Fords and Holdens here (ie. complete dizzzy, coil and leads for
> about Aus$450). The guy especially builds these for Alfas with supposedly
> the right advance curves etc.
>
> Thanks in advance

A few people on the digest have had success with the Crane Cams XR700
optical ignition system (including me).  I don't have it fitted to
a 1750, it's on a 1978 Alfetta GTV (Bosch distributor).  The instructions
specifically list both Bosch and Marelli points distributors and
the kit includes an optical chopper to suit either setup.

It's easy to install, drastically reduced my high-rev spark scatter
and low-rev idling problems (OK, so my distributor is a little
worn around the lobes :-).

It's also relatively cheap, I paid AUD$250 here in Sydney about
a year ago.  I think Vin Sharp (PACE performance guy in Melbourne)
may have them cheaper still.  I bought mine from "Rare Spares".

You do need to be careful to seal the area where the wires for
the optical pickup lead into the distributor, as (obviously) the
little electric eye is affected quite badly by dirt etc.
There are other alternatives (including the factory hall-effect
system found on post '82 Alfettas) which you can source from
a wrecker, but the replacement cost of the brain box far outweighs
the outright purchase of an XR700 if you are forced to buy
the Bosch unit new (which is what spooked me out of the Bosch).

There are  other aftermarket systems (Vin Sharpe lists another,
more expensive hall-effect setup in his catalogue, but I can't
recall the name), the XR700 seems to be widely available though,
and I don't recall any others in my search that specifically
mentioned Alfa Romeo as a fitment.

dave.