RE: Block heaters

I previously posted:

Avoid any system intended to be installed into the radiator hose or
radiator.  Also, any dipstick heaters can be considered useless.

Brian Shorey responded:

<<<i'm curious as to why?  i can understand avoiding the dip stick heaters (so
as not to cook the oil), but why the ones that go into the radiator hose?
in the past, when i owned small starter 1750 berlinas as my only cars, they
worked fine during new england winters.  i thought the only thing to
remember with the in-line radiator hose heaters was to install them in a
vertical section of hose, to facilitate circulation.>>>

Dipstick heaters are often ineffective, I'm not sure why.  Maybe it only heats
the oil in the pan, oil at bearing surfaces remains stiff?

In-line radiator hoses cannot be installed in a vertical section of hose on some
vehicles.  I'm also not sure if they need to be installed in the upper hose or
lower hose, but I think the lower hose makes more sense to facilitate
circulation.  If the heater is placed in the hose, it may cause some restriction
to coolant flow, but I really don't know since I've never used one.  I've been
advised in the past not to use in-line radiator hose heaters.

Loyd Heimbruch
Barnum, MN
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC
70 MPH daily over snow covered roads :-)
86 Olds Cutlass Ciera (daily driver, with block heater)
91 Plymouth Grand Voyager AWD ($4500.00 damage from hitting a deer)
78 Niki Spider (in hibernation, no block heater required)