shifting gears

Well Simon has some very good points and following them will extend the
life of your transmission. But I drive my Alfas because I love to drive and
I love to drive my cars at their limits. If I have to baby my transmission
whats the point. Sure for most driving you should follow Simons advice. But
there are two rules I break all the time. Rule #1 I guess I just love to
spin my tires when I shift from 1-2 and 2-3 so I break that rule all the
time. I also always down shift and don't rely on my brakes. I feel that I
have much more control when my foot is off the clutch.

I am in a somewhat unique situation in that I rebuild transmissions and
therefore the cost is lower when I have to rebuild my own. But let me
assure you I DO NOT LIKE PULLING A TRANSMISSION.

When an Alfa transmission is properly put together with lightened gears
there is no way you can shift fast enough to grind the gears. Listening to
my son shift my race car at 8000+ RPM without lifting his foot from the gas
pedal is an experience. I believe that the additional expense to lighten
the trans gears is well worth the money. Sure this will double the cost of
the rebuild but it will more than double the life of the syncros. This will
save at least one removal and replacement of the transmission (if you keep
a car that long) and that is where a significant part of the rebuild cost
is. Plus you get an Alfa transmission that shifts like butter and requires
no particular shifting rules.

My GTV (which is really a daily driver) has over 110,000 miles on the
transmission. This mileage has been put on by my wife, who is unconcerned
with shifting rules, myself who violates any rule whenever I can, and my 18
year old son who learned from his old man, what more can I say. Second gear
has now shown some resistance to fast shifts and the transmission will have
to come out. Thats a pretty good lifespan in my opinion.

If you get a chance to drive an Alfa with a lightened transmission do so,
but only if you want to eliminate some weight from your pocket book. Once
you shift a good lightened transmission you will be hooked.

TOM SAHINES ARA TECH HOT LINE SAN JOSE CA