Re: Cross-ply racing tires

I've used both the Goodyear and the Dunlop racing tires, but not on an
Alfa.  I vintage race a Formula Junior from the late 50's.  The Dunlop
CR65 with hard compound was mandated for my class.  I preferred the
Goodyears.  I think the Dunlops added about 5 seconds to my lap times.
The only good thing about the Dunlops is that they last a long time.
Dunlop makes them in a softer compound, but I haven't used those.  The
thing about bias-ply tires is you have to try to keep the tires more
vertical under cornering.  You can do this by the tire temps, or by the
wear patterns.  Video taken from a vantage point looking head on at the
car while cornering would also help.

I tend to think you will get a lot better performance out of radials in
an Alfa GTV.  Radials are more forgiving of body roll, as they are
designed to provide cornering force from the shoulder of the tread.  If
you want a true "vintage" feel from the car, then try the Goodyear Blue
Streaks. You will need to change your driving style more than the car.