Re: Cross-ply racing tires

Uh, Les, there are racing tires and RACING tires. Any modern, street-legal
race tire in disguise is going to provide a LOT more cornering power than
most of the reproduction vintage racing tires we were discussing. The
Goodyear Blue Streak is the correct profile and close to the same adhesion
for sports cars from the mid 60's. The Dunlop CR65 is more appropriate
for cars from the 50's. Personally, I think it's a dumb rule that requires
street legal rubber but does nothing to ensure that the profile and
compound are close to the way the car was raced originally. If somebody
wants to put period-correct rubber on the car, they should be allowed, IMO.

Over here, the debate is whether or not to allow super-sticky "vintage"
tires like Avon and Hoosier that may look correct, but are so sticky that
people are breaking suspension parts. That's the real danger with a rule
like the one you have. The ultra modern tires can overstress those ancient
parts you're riding around on. There are street-legal tires today that are
far stickier than racing rubber of the past.