RE: Groaning brakes

Toby wrote:
 =

> A quick question associated with an Alfetta Sedan's brakes.
> Recently, mine have begun making a loud groaning sound, much
> like metal fatigue... It only occurs in the wet, and only under
> light application of the brakes...

Some time back I fixed an annoying braking sound on a Milano (75)
that had plagued me for over a year. I would describe my sound as
a "gurgle" or low frequency screech that occured during braking
immediately before the car stoped. It turns out the sound was
caused by glazed brake pads. The rotor had little runout, was only
moderately scored, and braking ability was not significantly
impaired. A friend in the local Alfa club suggested I remove
the pads and lightly sand them to remove the shine from the
surface. This worked beautifully, but only for a few weeks.
The final solution was to replace brake pads with those of a
different manufacturer (Repco Metalmasters).

Good luck,

Rich
'87 Milano
'78 Spider