Re: Calif RFG

From: Ken_Restivo@domain.elided (Ken Restivo)

>I loved Jack Haggerty's analysis in Up On Jacks of reformulated gas.

>It seems the real, sinister purpose of the gas is to destroy the fuel
>systems of old cars, forcing them to burn to death or be totalled for lack
>of funds to rebuild the things.

While I always appreciate a plug (and enjoy it when I get all-to-rare
feedback on an article) I've got to say that the only sinister purpose that
I intended to reveal was the oil companies use of MTBE to "clean the air"
when it is actually a way of them to dispose of their toxic waste through
our gas tanks and charge us for it. The car fires and fuel system degradation
are simply side affects, as is the contamination of drinking water supplies.
I don't beleive that anyone in CARB and the other gummint agencies are smart
enough or coordinated engough to pull off such a Machiavellian scheme. That
said, though, I can certianly see where you could interpret the article that
way. If you want to give me credit for it, I'll take it :-)

>Big winners: environazis, maybe, but the pockets that get lined are those
>of new car manufacturers and auto repair shops, as well as the oil
>companies themselves as Jack so expertly pointed out.

Big losers: Anyone who drives a car in California and any city who pulls
drinking water from the ground or a lake.

- - Jack

P.S. Only one "g" Ken.

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  Black holes are where God divided by zero. |
| Livermore, CA		      |             - Anon.                         |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |