Re: for a friend

Hi Guys and Gals,  =20
    I'm new to this Alfa Digest thing but hopefully someone out there =
can be of assistance. I'm currently in the middle of a comedic redo of =
my 72 GTV. The mechanicals are super, she sports a Wes Ingram built =
motor with a Sperry stage 5 head. Unfortunately the last person painting
=
the car, who was also the third, didn't do much prep work. No glass or =
even the door handles were removed and believe me no old paint got =
removed. So to stop rust in its tracks I decided take the car back to =
bare metal, the old fashioned way by hand striping it. Don't ask why but
=
I've completed about 95% of that job. The good news was little other =
rust than what was visible prior to stripping, the bad news was evidence
=
of poor quality body work in her past. She had gotten a nose job at some
=
time and the welds were filled with plastic. Someone had once drilled =
holes in her side to mount a door guard strip, etc. Well all that will =
be put right. Now if your still with me here are my question/needs. I =
never liked the rectangular side marker lights and want to convert to =
the older round "Euro style" lights. I've located red ones for the rear =
but haven't been able to find amber or clear for the front. My tail =
lights have lost the reflective foil coating but otherwise seem OK, =
what's the best way to clean them up and enhance their reflective =
ability. What sort of lights were original for the driving lights, amber
=
fog or some sort of halogen? Any comments on trunk mounted batteries? =
Her entire interior had been raped with cheap silver vinyl glued over =
the original panels and what couldn't be conveniently covered was =
painted either silver or blue. I'd like to go back to black and already =
have some nice seats, 72 bottoms and rails with '69 seat backs done in =
good quality black vinyl with a charcoal fabric inset. Anyone know how =
to remove vinyl paint from dashboards and contact cement from vinyl? =
Failing that I'll need black interior panels for a '72. I also need a =
windshield preferably clear and the gasketed in style, including trim =
since I assume the trim from my broken glue in won't work. Anyone have =
experience in converting from glue ins to gasket style? I'm going to =
need a full carpet set any advice on how to go about that one? She =
looked so much more spacious without the console I'm thinking of doing =
away with it. Its purpose in life seems to be to hold 3 toggle switches =
and the heater controls and oh yes an ash tray and lighter. It seems =
like Alfa just followed early 70s style and threw that thing in there. =
The toggles should go on the dash OK and I've seen heater controls =
mounted under the dash in early models. The ash tray and lighter can =
just go away. Any comments on that conversion? For all still reading =
thanks and for those who help double thanks in advance.
=20
                                 Ciao,
                                       Emmo
'72 GTV stripped and ready for TLC
'76 Spider quite happy, being driven a lots and thinking she's an only =
child again

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

End of alfa-digest V7 #153