Re: New injectors for twinspark engine?

[]  Anders asks:

> I seem to have a problem with (at least) one of the fuel injectors on
> my 2.0
> TS (it's a Bosch Motronic ML4.1 system).
>
> Symptoms are that it runs rather rough in the lower rev. range but
> gets
> somewhat better above 3000.
> It never misses completely on any cyl. but I can clearly hear that one
> cyl.
> misfires when it is not loaded(?), esp. stepping halfway off gas pedal
> from
> say 3000 rpm in 2nd.
>
> I have good compression, no goo in coolant or oil and ignition is
> checked
> (have also run the car on one system at a time to make sure).
>
> Two questions:
> 1)
> Is there another possible fault causing the one cyl. misfire?
[]  Sure, an air leak around the rubber seal of the injector.  An easy
way to test is, with the car running, apply some load up and down on the
fuel rail.  Even though it is bolted in place there is enough flex to
allow the rubber to move.  If it is leaking or not seated properly, you
will hear the air rush in.

> 2)
> Should I replace one/all injectors or is it possible to have it fixed?
> I've
> tried injector cleaner with only marginal result.
[]  Find a good mechanic who cleans Injectors and let him clean and
check them.  It is cheaper than replacing just ONE injector.  A good
shop will change the baskets and seals, and give you a description of
their condition.

> 3) (OK, one more :-)
> How much is an injector?
[]  LOTS!
Look for every other problem first.  They are not a common problem.
However, dirt is.  While you have the injectors out, how about cleaning
the idle speed stabiliser, the airflow meter, and every connection in
the engine bay.  Particularly every one of those nasty Bosch connectors
that are hard to remove.  Use contact cleaner on the connectors, and
carb cleaner on everything else.  Clean the battery terminals, nothing
on these cars runs without power!

[]  Cheers,
david
89 ALFA75 TS with a clean, sweet running engine.