Brake bleeding & 2nd gear synchro

My experience with brake bleeding and a wife who also became critical of
the time sitting in the cockpit taught me that to keep air from sucking
into the system (when doing a two people brake bleed) the let up on the
brake pedal must be done very slowly. I believe the master cylinder will
let air suck in from the back seal, I think. Anyway my wife is quite
content to bleed brakes now as it only takes a few minutes.

Jason Hool  -  I presume you are sure th clutch is releasing all the way,
no dragging. If it is, then a simple adjustment on the upper left hand
firewall pushrod into the master cylinder can fix it. I'm assuming the 92
is the same as my 74's. Just look at it and the adjustment will be obvious
and logical. Just make sure some free play in the pedal remains. If not...

the problem is probably the chronic 2nd gear synchro. The reason the 2nd
gear synchro wears out is that the 2nd gear is a huge, unsophisticated,
heavy disk. It really needs to be lightened. This can be done when you
re-build the gearbox by undercutting the excess metal out of the gear disk
(maybe a $100 or so). My guy also put in lightening holes (don't overdo
it). This will make for a 2nd gear synchro that will last as long as the
other synchros.  We also undercut all the gears we could get at in the box.
The result was a gearbox I could not beat even when timetrialling. I would
also suggest double-clutching (matching engine speeds to drive shaft speed)
whenever shifting, at least when doing "normal" driving. If you don't know
how to double clutch, find an old time truck driver to teach you. Maybe the
new time truckers do it too.

Rube Erickson       end