Re: Front Donut Removal

> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:40:22 EDT
> From: SSwan60@domain.elided
> Subject: Front Donut Removal
>
> On removing the front donut on a GTV6

[deleted]
> One thing I'll caution you on is to make sure you compress the donut with a
> large hose clamp before taking it out.  I didn't and while trying to remove it
> it expanded and got caught on the studs.  I had to use a reciprocating body
> saw to saw apart the donut after which it slid right off.  It's a bitch
> getting the hose clamp on, but if I have to do it again, I'll spend hours
> trying.

In my experience, the only time you need to compress the donuts is if
you are completely removing them from the driveshafts (I might have
just been lucky so far though).  You should be able to remove the
driveshaft with all three donuts attached, then put your hose clamps
on when the shaft is on the garage floor, rather than strugle through
the front inspection hole.  The three studs on the front of the
driveshaft should be enough to compress the donut so it struggles back
onto the flywheel.  At least, that's what I've done on my Alfetta's.
You do need to drop the rear subframe a little to get the driveshaft out
in one piece though.

dave.