Re: HELP - Driveshaft removal problem - GTV-6

> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 07:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
> From: connolly@domain.elided (Greg Connolly)
> Subject: HELP - Driveshaft removal problem - GTV-6

[deleted - transaxle replacement]
> Here's my problem: how do I stop the driveshaft and/or
> engine from rotating while trying to undo the nuts on
> the front donut. I tried putting a wrench on a smaller
> center donut nut(17mm versus 19mm front and rear donuts?)
> and turning in the opposite direction but something turned
> after applying extreme force and it wasn't the front donut
> nut! All of the donut bolts are regular thread, right?

I don't know about the thread.  On my '78 Alfetta GTV all
the bolts for each donut are identical.  I haven't compared
between donuts though, it's possible they are different due
to the three different attachments that have to take place.

To remove the driveshaft, I use two 17mm spanners and a large
(aka really big) screwdriver.  If you wedge the screwdriver
into the driveshaft (at the front, up between the bolts that
come out of the flywheel) you can usually turn the nuts
without any problems.  For the middle and rear donuts, I
use a 17mm spanner on either side (one on the nut and one
on the bolt) and push them opposite
directions.  Works a treat, although the middle donut
is usually removed on the garage floor rather than in
situ.

[deleted]

dave.