2.5l V6 Water Pump: OEM or 'pattern' ?

27 Jul 1998  Doss Halsey asks:

<< The "new" water pump in my '87 Milano (2.5l V6) has begun leaking after
only 10k miles! I don't believe the belt has been too tight. I seem to
remember mention of a "good" brand and a "bad" brand of water pump for this
engine. I don't remember what brand I bought last time. Anybody have any
insight into this?>>

I recently replaced the water pump on my '89 164 V6 3.0 (probably the same as
on the Milano V6) with genuine Alfa Romeo spare, and note that it is a
slightly different design now.  I thought it wasn't going to fit at first, but
it does when you move the alternator bracket out of the way.  IMHO you need
the belts tight for everything to work OK, and the bearings are beefy enough
to cope.  10K seems a bit soon to me - mine did almost 100K miles before it
started to weep antifreeze.

Only non-Alfa parts which are OK  IMHO  are windscreen wiper blades (I don't
cruise at 125+ mph in the rain, so I reckon I don't need the spoiler on the
driver's blade) and brake pads (because the OEM ones cost double and are no
better than the Lucas ones).  (OEM exhausts certainly sound, and seem to work,
better.)

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tonywoodtw/";>Tony Wood</A>
England